Dubai Aquarium is one of the most popular places in Dubai that contains 140 marine species in a tank with a capacity of over 10 million liters of water. This aquarium is located in the Dubai Mall which is one of the greatest malls in the world.
Dubai Aquarium is a small sample of the ocean and allows you to have a first-hand experience of underwater life.
In this article, we want to talk about the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo. You will get an overall look at the greatest underwater zoo in the world and get familiar with different parts of it.
Where is the Dubai Aquarium?
Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo or DAUZ is a part of the grand project of the United Arab Emirates for the development of tourism in Dubai city.
Dubai Aquarium is 1.3 kilometers (about 4 minutes) away from the center of Dubai city and 15 kilometers (20 minutes) distance from the Dubai international airport.
Location: Downtown Dubai, ground floor, and the second floor of Dubai Mall.
working days: 10 AM to 10 PM •Ticket counter closes at 9:15 PM
weekends (Thursday, Friday, Saturday): 10 AM to 12 AM •Ticket counter closes at 11:15 PM
accessibility of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
to get to Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo you have to go to the Dubai Mall. Coming up we will guide you on different ways of getting to Dubai Mall.
- Subway: nearest subway station to Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is next to Burj Khalifa. After getting out of the subway station, you will have to take a 17-minute walk through a covered bridge that connects you to Dubai Mall. You can also take a bus from the Khalifa Burj /Dubai Mall subway station.
- Bus: two bus lines can get you to the Dubai Mall, numbers 27 and 29. Both have a stop in front of the Dubai Mall.
- Online taxis: Uber and Careem are two online taxis that work in Dubai. From time to time Dubai Aquarium offers some discounts to visitors who want to use these taxis to go to the Dubai Mall.
- Taxicab: taxi prices are more affordable in Dubai than in European cities like London and Paris. You can take a cab from anywhere and get to Dubai Aquarium.
- Free ride to Dubai Mall: there are some hotels like hotel Hilton, Sofitel, Rixos, The Westin, and several more hotels in Dubai that offer a free ride to Dubai Mall to their guests.
Different parts of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo has three different parts:
- Aquarium Tank: This part of the aquarium is a tank that holds over 140 marine species in itself and simulates underwater and ocean life.
- Aquarium Tunnel: This is a 48-meter-long walk through a 270 degrees glass tunnel that provides a great view of the aquarium with 140 species and a great simulation of ocean life. This tunnel is located on the ground floor of Dubai Mall. By walking in this tunnel, you will go 11 meters underground and have a better look at underwater life. The aquarium tunnel provides a spot for you to get a look at the aquarium tank of Dubai Aquarium.
- Underwater Zoo: The last part of the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is the underwater zoo that is located on the second floor of Dubai Mall. The underwater zoo has over 40 kinds of animals that live near or in the water like seahorses, iguanas, insects, Burmese python, etc.
the underwater zoo is divided into three different parts itself:
- Rocky Shore: at this part of the Underwater Zoo in Dubai Aquarium you will see Humboldt Penguin and giant Spider Crabs. If you are not scared of touching animals, you can touch some less dangerous species.
- Rainforest: if you didn’t have a chance to walk in a tropical forest yet, you can have the experience in the Rainforest of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo. You can see animals like Piranha and Otters at this part of the Underwater Zoo.
- Living Ocean: this is the last part of the Underwater Zoo in the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo. You can see a lot of aquatic animals in this part of the aquarium.
Exciting things to do when you’re in Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
If you don’t know how to scuba dive but you’re looking for a similar experience, this is the answer to your problem. If you are older than 8 years old, you have the opportunity to go snorkeling at Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo.
You will go into the water in a cage with a professional coach. All you have to do is to wear a snorkeling suit. You can get a close look at the sharks while they are eating food and watch them and they won’t be any danger to you because you’re in a safe cage.
This is a 30-minute experience and every time the cage will go under the water with four people inside it.
You have to be older than 10 years to be allowed to scuba dive in the Dubai Aquarium. Pregnant ladies and people with physical health problems are not allowed to scuba dive in Dubai Aquarium.
You will get the basic instructions like how to breathe under the water and how to use the diving equipment, from the coaches in Dubai Aquarium. The coaches will inform you on how to treat the animals underwater and have an easier experience.
The VRZOO experience is located on the ground floor of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo. You can experience the same amount of adrenaline without moving a muscle and getting in danger. If you have physical disabilities and limitations or you are too scared to engage in the activities like diving, you can have a similar experience at VRZOO.
Meet the King Croc
The King Croc is a 40 years old crocodile that is native Australian with 750 kg weight and over 5 meters in length. This crocodile has 60 teeth every one of them is the size of a human finger. King Croc is on the second floor of Dubai Mall and one of the many exciting experiences you can get from Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo.
In Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo you can feed a variety of animals with your own hands. You can feed the King Croc, sharks, rays, etc.
There is a timing for feeding every animal. If you want to have this experience you should check the schedule and be there on time.
There is an age and height limit for engaging in this activity: you should be at least 2 years old and 140 cm in height to be able to have this experience.
Glass bottom boat ride
This is something that you can’t find in any other aquarium and zoo in the world. You can float on the clear water of Dubai Aquarium and get a good look at the many species that are living in Dubai Aquarium. All you have to do is sit back and relax.
The Glass Bottom Boats have a capacity for 10 people and they come and go every 10 to 20 minutes. You can have this experience on the second floor of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo.
Awards and honors of Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
Dubai Aquarium is one of the greatest aquariums in the world and in the years of working has been able to gain a lot of awards and prizes.
The Dubai Aquarium And Underwater Zoo hold the Guinness record for having the world’s largest viewing panel. The Guinness award was given to Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo in the year 2010.
Other honors belonging to Dubai Aquarium And Underwater Zoo are from different magazines and websites like TripAdvisor and Images RetailME that chose this aquarium as one of the greatest aquariums and touristic places in the world.
Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is one of the greatest attractions of Dubai city and one of the reasons that every year a lot of travelers pick Dubai as their destination. Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is part of Dubai Mall which is one of the most glamorous malls in the world. If you want more information about the Dubai Mall, click here.