The Promenade des Anglais (meaning “English Walkway”). Its name comes from the English aristocrats who came to Nice in the 18th century to enjoy the beautiful view of the local climate. The Promenade des Anglais is a promenade along the Mediterranean coast of Nice, France. At that time, the shoreline was less regular. Because the aristocrats and their wives wanted to walk comfortably, a seaside promenade was built (with the finances of the English people). Proma residents still view English names of hotels such as Westminster and The West End. Promenade des Anglais is the most crucial attraction in the city. It stretches for seven kilometers and provides a good view of the blue sea and palm trees.
History of Promenade des Anglais
In the 18th century, many wealthy English men and women chose the English Riviera to have their second homes. The arrival of the nobility and the wealthy contributed significantly to the economic development and improvement of the city of Nice. Among all the nationalities who met during social evening hours in Nice, the English were relatively more likely. It is also known as the Way of the Reverend Lewis, who created the Promenades of des Anglais. In 1821, he worked with the help of those close to him, a fundraiser from his countrymen, to build a smoother path in des Anglais.
Why is it called promenade des anglaise?
In the second half of the 18th century, the English aristocracy spent the winter in the city of Nice, enjoying the proma along the coast. In 1820, When a harsh winter brought more northern people to Nice, Some english suggested building a Chemin de promenade along the sea. The Reverend Lewis Way and the Holy Trinity Anglican Church members funded it. The city of Nice, with its beautiful view of a pleasant, significantly increased the scope of the work. The Promenade was first called the Camin deis Anglés (the English Way) by the Niçois in their native dialect. After France joined Nice in 1860, la Promenade des Anglais was reinstated.
Promenade des Anglais is Nice’s main attraction
The Promenade des Anglais is also where many events and ceremonies are organized. There is part of the famous Nice Carnival and sporting events, exhibitions, and meetings. The abyss also creates many exciting places and attractions in Nice. Magnificent parks, museums, fashionable beaches, luxury hotels, and casinos exist. One of the most expensive hotels is the Le Negresco hotel, where Michael Jackson stayed.
Today’s promenade des Anglais is a popular place for walks and sports. The bike path has all along it; you can join run runners, roller skaters, or other sports enthusiasts. It’s so crowded that accident happens easily. For residents, Promenade des Anglais easily become Promenade or Prom. Favourite cyclists, walking kids, and families, especially in. It’s closed. It has also become a favourite place for skateboarders and skaters.
What is the Grand Hotel & des Anglais spa?
Negresco Hotel, nutrue Hotel, Grand Hotel, and Swedish Hotel are among the famous hotels of Des Anglais. Grand Hotel & des Anglais Spa overlooks the Ligurian Sea from its panoramic position in Sanremo, a 2-minute walk from the beach and 0.8 mi from the Ariston Theater. Parking and Wi-Fi are free, and rooms are a classic style. All spacious hotel rooms have satellite TV, a minibar, and ventilation. Some have balconies with sea views.
Since being created in the 19th century, promenade des Anglais has progressed while retaining its initial charm, and this tourist spot has transformed the place of exchange and leisure dear to the people of Nice. In the 1950s, many of the wooden chairs created by Charles Torhoe, fixed in a train maintenance company, were scattered along the abyss so that walkers would sit in their spare time to relax. These chairs have gradually become a true symbol of the city of Nice and have contributed a little more charm to this beautifully landscaped seaside. With their old-fashioned charm, these chairs can only be found in front of the Hôtel le Negresco. However, these are not the original models kept in a museum.
2016 Bastille attack
On July 14, 2016, a truck deliberately passed through the Roylers celebrating Bastille Day in procrasclation. The driver, 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, also shot others before crossing the road with a vehicle to continue the attack. Police surrounded the car near the Palais de la Méditerranée, and the driver was shot dead. 86 people were killed and 450 injured. After the attack, Promenade des Anglais was secured by installing barriers separating vehicle traffic from pedestrians. In the aftermath of the incident, tourists’ interest in the area declined but soon returned to the state before the attack.